Saturday, August 2, 2008

Randy Gibson, Ph.D.

Today, my husband, Randy, receives his Ph.D. from Purdue University. When I think back over the last decade (really!), I feel a rush of pride in his achievement and gratitude to all who supported him. According to statistics, he shouldn't have finished. He did everything wrong, from leaving the area (for my work) to working full time in another profession to having kids. I'm sure there were many times he was ready to pack it in. There were certainly times I was ready for him to admit defeat. After all, his dissertation took him away from us, his family, on a regular basis as he read and typed in the basement office after work.

Despite the challenges, his dissertation turned out to be a blessing. There were pieces of it that blew me away, and one philosopher's thought in particular ('death is not a problem to be solved') and Randy's way of working that out brought some rather dramatic healing to my thought processes.

So thank you, Jesus! Thank you, family. Thank you, Purdue profs. Thank you. Where we go from here, only God knows. That's ok. Here is a wonderful place to be.

2 comments:

IUMom said...

Congratulations to your whole family! It is a family accomplishment that you all can be very proud of!
We can't wait to see where God leads you now!
Love
Kim Gary Rachel Alex Lee

This One Really Beautiful Girl said...

Isn't it great that daddy got his PhD! i am so proud of him.