Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Getting Organized

One of my goals for my leave, which I am gradually achieving, is organization. Doing a better, more faithful job, of organizing my time. Which also means having some systems in place to deal with all that starts coming our way with the beginning of school. I have the closet organized, the filing cabinet and several kitchen cabinets. I still have the play room, but that is a huge and all day project. In the meantime, I am also looking ahead to organize my days, to make sure I have plans to refuel in place, a system of re-creation that will fill me as life drains me.

As part of my leave, we attended a different church Sunday. Not a big deal to most people, surely, but to a pastor's family, it's definitely not a regular occurrence! Worshiping, learning, sitting 'at the feet' of another pastor - all were graces that took some adjustment to receive. God slipped a Word into my heart like a splinter. I didn't immediately feel it, but I have wrestled with its presence continually over the passage of time. It wasn't even the pastor's main point, just a transitional question. But I offer it to you, because perhaps it will give you something to think about - and it's always more fun to think together on something than just to chew on it yourself.

So here is the question: What system do you have to bless people?

I do believe one of our purposes as people who worship God is to share his blessings with the world. As human beings, we 'tend the Garden' of creation. As Abraham's faith descendants, we are to be a blessing to all the families of the earth. OK. So far so good. Our church makes a point of this, inviting the congregation to bless others through concrete acts of love and kindness. I make a point of it. I think I do. But systematically? A plan? Me PERSONALLY?

That I don't think I have one. I sort of bless others as it comes along, but I'm not terribly proactive about it.

The whole idea of blessing people dovetails with the organization of other aspects of my life. I've been receiving insights from flylady.net, a website designed to help 'sidetracked home executives' order their lives and their homes. "Flyladies" consider cleaning a 'home blessing' and invite others to look at their own tasks that way. Cleaning out my closet blesses my family. Having a shiny sink contributes to the good of the world because I feel better about life. Lack of clutter brings peace which naturally seeps out into our interactions outside the home. Flylady offers systems to make the blessings flow, so to speak.

OK, if you're into the traditionally more masculine side of things, the illustration may not hit you. Or maybe it just needs some tweaking to make the point. When I mow the yard, am I doing it to bless creation? What would it mean to do that? A neater job? A less polluting mower? When I cook supper, am I doing it to bless people? What would that look like? More nutritious food? Simpler, less expensive food that will allow me to share the bounty with others? Prettier place settings? What is my plan for blessing people? Is it giving money? Is it spending time serving somewhere? Is it creating something or recycling something or just being a little more patient with people?

I'm not sure what the details are matters as much as having a plan and carrying it out. Putting some attention in our ADD world into directing our ordinary life toward blessing others. My shopping - a blessing. My work a blessing. My rest a blessing.

What system do I have to bless people? Before I end my leave, that is a goal. I suspect it will help me say 'no' to some very good but beside the point things, and say 'yes' to God in new and adventurous ways.

4 comments:

Mike Bujtas said...

What a fascinating thought. Something I'll definitely think on for a while. What scares me is, when I develop a system for accomplishing something on an ongoing basis, it normally means I don't want to have to consciously achieve it. I want it to happen without any real focus from me. Your thoughts make me wonder if I have it in me to systematically bless others while remaining conscious of who I'm blessing and how I'm to do it. A new challenge for me spiritually.....now that's interesting. Thank you for this post, and I'm so glad you're getting some time.

revcat said...

Lore, your thoughts here made me think of a book I just finished reading while on vacation in North Carolina this past week: An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor. ISBN 978-0-06-137046-5. It really made me think about living more mindfully and fully. I think you would enjoy it too.
Enjoy your time away from TUMC

KimR said...

I've never really thought about it a system, I think I am kind of on autopilot, it is a way of life. A system seems too regimented for me personally, we all have our ways to bless others. The most impt thing is the blessing, I think!
Overflowing with blessings to you,
Love
kim

BJson said...

This kind of reminds me of one of the books Jeff mentioned on his webpage (The Simple _______) about saying "yes" to what is our focus and "no" to what isn't. It seems to me this approach often comes with guilt. Therefore, creating a systematic framework for people-blessing will require a God focused vs. me focused response to your stated quest.