Monday, April 12, 2010

Blessed Birds

"Why are you up so early, baby, it's Spring Break!?"
"The birds woke me up, Mommy."
"They woke me up too!"

The birds are downright loud around our house. I don't know all their names, but I do know the male cardinals, the sparrows, the finches, the killdeer and redwings. Their songs echo in the woods every morning, rousing me from sleep better than any alarm. It's not a symphony, it's a cacophony, like the tuning before the music begins.

How can I complain? After winter's gray, muffling blanket silenced them or sent them away, how can I be upset that the birds are singing as loud as they can possibly sing? So they wake me up? Why would I want to sleep through spring?

True blessings seem to be those that wake me up a little. The peace they bring is beyond understanding, because it is peace that pushes and entices me into a new place. It's not the peace of complacency, it is the peace of growing things.

No comments: