Thursday, September 18, 2008

I get a present from the Verizon Guy

The Verizon guy came today (his name is Phil). Our phone has been buzzing for some time. Phil showed me the outside box, and having determined it was a problem somewhere down the line, told me he was off to fix it.

I said something like, “Really?” and he looked at me strangely. “Don’t people you call to repair something usually repair it?”

Not always.

So I am sitting, watching Phil go from phone box to phone box in the neighborhood, trying to figure out where the problem is. He’s extremely diligent at his work. I want him to be right about fixing the phone, for his sake, as well as mine. His optimism and taking-for-granted-the integrity-of-repair-personnel attitude appeals to me. And it is, after all, a Friday afternoon. I’m probably his last stop. It would be good for this nice, positive guy to end the week on a success.

On the other hand, people I call to repair things don’t always repair them. Sometimes because they don’t try too hard. Sometimes because it’s just not repairable. Often because they can’t figure it out that day. They call in someone else, or forget about it. Sometimes they make us wait (which is why we do not do business with Comcast).

I really appreciate Phil the Verizon guy’s attitude and persistence. I intend to thank him and report his great attitude to his supervisor. As soon as he fixes my phone.

No comments: