Thursday, September 18, 2008

You might get stuck

Kids make faces at each other. They make faces for no particular reason. My mom used to say, "Be careful what face you are making; it might get stuck that way."

Faces are not the only things that get stuck. I realized this week that if we react to life with complaints, bitterness, anger, and blame, we get stuck that way too. How we act and react when we are young become habits, patterns, that imprison us as we get old. If I'm grumpy and whiny now, how much more will I be when I'm older and have less energy to fight it off?

Someday, I'll be stuck. I used to think it was never too late to change, or at least that it wasn't too late until death. Now I am not so sure.

There's a poem by Jenny Joseph that a lot of senior women find inspiring. It's called 'Warning', and it begins: "When I am an Old Woman, I shall wear purple with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me." Many of those senior sisters have formed red hat clubs, where they get together for the joy of friendship, wearing red hats and purple tops and crazy, gaudy jewelry. http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html if you want to check it out for yourself.

Well, I doubt I'll wear purple, and I never did like hats. Instead, I am going to wear laughter and gratitude. I want my face to get stuck in a smile . I want to be thoughtful and caring. I want to be strong and opinionated, but also loving and gentle with both my strength and my opinions.

If I'm going to be stuck that way, I want to start now.

No comments: