Monday, June 30, 2008

To a louse

As usual when preparing for a sermon, I find nuggets of wisdom completely out of context. I found myself face to face with Rabbie Burns this week.

"O wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us.
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:"

It became a prayer, really. "Help me see myself, clearly and honestly." So many problems come from a lack of self-knowledge. I've watched many a person cause pain and suffering in those they love, simply because they are clueless about their own feelings, their own strength, their own ego.

Then I googled the first line, and discovered that the title of the poem is 'To a louse.'

A LOUSE!

Ach, Rabbie - wisdom in a louse. Wisdom for me, trying not to cause pain and suffering in those I love. Lice of all things. Maybe the world would be a far better place if we not only knew ourselves, but if we also took time to contemplate with such devotion small and ordinary things.

I'll put it on my to-do list: meditate on a louse.
Holy Spirit, you crack me up!

(Here it is, if you want to read the entire poem for yourself)
http://quotations.about.com/cs/poemlyrics/a/To_A_Louse.htm

No comments: